Today’s topic for the Breastfeeding Blog Hop: Top 5 Breastfeeding Snacks
Breastfeeding makes me super hungry! When my baby was first born I would snack all the time. Those late night feedings weren’t just for him! I used to worry that snacking all the time would sabotage losing all that baby weight, but it hasn’t. After 7 months of nursing I’m actually a little below my pre-baby weight! When you see what I’ve been snacking on your going to be shocked!
- Peanut butter- In the hospital and at home my favorite snack was graham crackers and peanut butter. This combo was at my nursing station every day and during EVERY night feeding for weeks. When I had to cut the dairy I opted for regular crackers and peanut butter. Now that I’m able to ease back into the dairy graham crackers are making a comeback!
- Fruit- Giving birth in the summer was wonderful as far as fresh food goes. I had TONS of choices of fresh fruits. I’d eat any and ALL fruits put in front of me. My favorites were/are watermelon, pineapple, blueberries, apples, and pears!
- Oatmeal- I’m big on enjoying oatmeal for breakfast with some blueberries mixed in. I also make a lot of oatmeal cookies that are dairy free. Rumor has it oatmeal is good for your supply and since it’s also heart healthy it can’t hurt.
- Pecans- Living in the south has it’s advantages and I have gallon bags of frozen pecans in my freezer. They are a great snack! I even take a few with us when we leave the house as a healthy snack.
- Newman Os- Did you think it was all going to be healthy? I am HUMAN after all! Newman-Os and Fig Newmans are my favorite cookies since I can get them dairy free!
One day I plan on making some lactation cookies, but since they contain dairy those will have to wait for a few more weeks/months.
I can also say that I was a little afraid of my appetite and thirst in the beginning. So I brought up the topic during a support group meeting and was reassured that I was not alone. If you are feeling more hungry or thirsty than you did your entire pregnancy I understand and I’m right there with you!
Do you always feel hungry while breastfeeding? What are your favorite snacks?